Here in the Midwest summer is one of the most beloved seasons. The days are long and the temperatures are mild. Along with these warmer days though comes the need to upkeep our plants, trees and grass in the backyard. No longer covered by snow, they are now in full bloom ready to be admired and enjoyed until the cooler temperatures return once again.
While summer has many benefits, it can also pose certain threats to our landscaping. Knowing the best ways to maintain it during the dog days of summer will ensure you can enjoy your backyard all season long.
Summer Landscaping Tips
- Adequate water hydration is one of the most important aspects of a healthy summer lawn. Water early in the morning with either a sprinkler or watering can. Water deeply rather than frequently and make sure to disperse the stream evenly.
- Apply mulch around plants to prevent weed growth. This also helps them retain valuable nutrients from the soil.
- Pay careful attention to plants most vulnerable to dehydration. These include newly planted trees, shrubs and perennials as well as flower beds. Make sure to water them often.
- Check trees for damaged or diseased limbs. Thunderstorms become more prevalent during summer making these limbs an easy target.
- Keep your AC unit clear of any overgrown plants that may be taking over the area.
Basic Safety Reminders
- Summer heat and humidity can greatly reduce your ability to safely work outdoors. Work in short spurts and take frequent breaks.
- Take advantage of the longer days by accomplishing these tasks during the early morning or late evening hours.
- Keep yourself covered by wearing light and loose-fitting clothing, sunscreen, a hat and sunglasses.
- Know when to ask for help. Especially for those more susceptible to heat stroke and heat stress hiring a professional landscaping team to do the work for you can be one of the best ways to keep your lawn (and yourself) healthy.
For professional assistance in maintaining your lawn during summer, contact the team at Martin John Landscaping. We help customers throughout Barrington and the surrounding areas maintain a beautiful, healthy lawn through these hot, humid days. Whether you need regular lawn clippings or help keeping your plants and grass hydrated, we have the expert knowledge and skills to get the job done. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.