If you are like most homeowners, you are more than a little intimidated by the thought of having to prune your small trees and shrubs each spring. Many are scared of taking too much off and permanently damaging the plant. Others simply don’t know where to begin when it comes to keeping their foliage in tip top shape. These fears often lead to either completing the task incorrectly or not doing it all. Both can lead to disastrous results for your outdoor landscaping.
There are many reasons why you should regularly prune your small trees and shrubs. First, it leads to healthier plants that are more able to withstand the harsh Chicago seasons. Properly pruned shrubs also have thicker foliage and more flowers leading to greater outdoor appeal. Plants which are regularly trimmed will enjoy a more natural form and continue to grow robustly. Lastly, pruning helps renew your small trees and shrubs giving them a fresh start for the new season.
The experienced team at Martin John Company helps countless clients with their many landscaping needs. Here are some of our best tips on how to prune small trees and shrubs:
• Use the right pruners or loppers for the job. Invest in quality tools and maintain them well for optimum performance.
• Remove branches which are weak, wayward or rubbing other branches. You often want to make your cut where the branch meets with another branch.
• Don’t prune on your timeframe; prune when it’s best for the plant. Individual varieties of plants should be trimmed when it’s optimal for their growth.
• Younger shrubs should be pruned gently often removing only the long, unbranched stems.
• Trim back to healthy branches and avoid leaving stubs along the way.
• Young or newly planted trees are best left alone. Only remove dead, broken or damaged branches as needed.
Most small trees and shrubs are best trimmed in early or late spring. There is no better time than now to give your landscaping a good cut. At Martin John Company, we help both residential and commercial clients with all of their lawn care needs. From professional trimmings to weekly grass cuttings, we provide the services you need to maintain a healthy and beautiful lawn. Visit our website to learn more about our expert trimming and pruning services.
1050 East Park Ave.
Libertyville, IL 60048